SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAILWAY PLAZA ASSOCIATION
July 18, 2015
RAILWAY PLAZA ASSOCIATION
"An Educational Journey into the History of Railroads in Southern California"
Railroad Days 2015 in Fullerton
presented by Amtrak®
steamed into town on May 2 & 3
at the Train Station,
packed with rail cars to tour
and more than 50 booths
and exhibitors at the free community event.
The SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAILWAY PLAZA ASSOCIATION, INC., or SCRPA, is a volunteer organization focused on the promotion of train-related educational programs for our youth, plus activities and exhibits for people of all ages – dedicated to the preservation of the rail heritage of Southern California.
SCRPA (formerly FRPA) is administered by a Board of Directors that includes people knowledgeable in railroad operations, organization administration, public affairs, nonprofit organizations and various technical specialties.
Our mission is to provide a historical insight into the numerous contributions that railroads have made to the development and growth of our region from the 19th century onward.
SCRPA’s ultimate goal is the creation of a premier destination attraction to present the spirit of the Southland through this railroad heritage. Called the SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAILROAD EXPERIENCE (SCRX), it will include exhibitions, programs and activities that are educational, interactive and fun for all ages.
In addition to SCRX planning and development tasks, the association sponsors the following programs and projects to promote interest in rail safety, history and education:
- Railroad Days – Sights, sounds and activities for the public to see firsthand what railroading is all about. A truly family-oriented event presented since 1999, the weekend attracts more than 30,000 people.
Railroad Days 2016 is scheduled the weekend of April 30 & May 1 at the Fullerton Train Station.
- Children’s Railroad Safety Poster Contest – an annual opportunity to work with local schools to teach young students about the dangers of being around trains. Through classroom participation and the organization of a poster exhibit, SCRPA supplements the work of the Operation Life Saver programs sponsored by the nation’s railroads.
- Members' Dinners & General Meetings – quarterly gatherings bring together the diverse SCRPA membership for an evening of discussions of mutual interest and presentations by guest speakers who provide timely information on rail-related topics.
- “Hot Rail!” – quarterly membership newsletters are the main source of SCRPA news and project status reports and activity photos. Issues are mailed to all members and are available online, where the photographs are in full color.
- History & Modeling Committee – for 10 years, talented members of the group have conducted historical research and created finely detailed models of local depots and scenes along area rail lines. They exhibit models at rail shows and fairs to promote the SCRX and railroading in general. The group also maintains a collection of rail artifacts and a rail-related library.
- Railroad Operations Committee – formed by members dedicated to the conservation of two vintage cabooses parked at the Fullerton Train Station. Using their expertise and skills, they hold monthly Work Parties to complete hands-on projects with a goal of returning the cabooses to operational condition.
- Excursions – the Membership Committee offers seasonal outings by motor coach to destinations for train rides or rail displays, such as the Fillmore & Western Railway Co. and the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar.
- Southern California Scenic Railway Association - SCSRA is a sister organization of SCRPA and is a nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to promoting public appreciation of Southern California rail history and rail safety.
Join us at our Quarterly Membership Dinner Meeting,
Wednesday, October 14, 2015, at 6 p.m.
Sizzler Restaurant, 1401 N. Harbor Blvd., Fullerton
For more information -- or to JOIN SCRPA -- click on the railcar “buttons” at the top of the page.
Or call the SCRPA office at 714-278-0648.
Check out our Calendar updates on What's New page
Our Facebook page has photos of Railroad Days 2014 and 2015 and will have the latest info about Railroad Days 2016 in Fullerton on April 30 & May 1 at: http://www.facebook.com/RailroadDaysinFullerton. And please remember to click the “like” button!
The Southern California Railway Plaza Association is a fully qualified and recognized publicly supported organization, as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Therefore, all donations to the SCRPA are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
top | home
© 2010-2015 Southern California Railway Plaza Association, Inc.
Hosted By TrainWeb.com