SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAILWAY PLAZA ASSOCIATION
January 17, 2017
RAILWAY PLAZA ASSOCIATION
"An Educational Journey into the History of Railroads in Southern California"
FULLERTON TRAIN MUSEUM
Open for free guided tours from 9 a.m. to noon on the
first and third Saturday each month
The SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAILWAY PLAZA ASSOCIATION, INC., or SCRPA, is a volunteer organization focused on the promotion of train-related educational programs for our youth, plus activities and exhibits for people of all ages – dedicated to the preservation of the rail heritage of Southern California.
SCRPA (formerly FRPA) is administered by a Board of Directors that includes people knowledgeable in railroad operations, organization administration, public affairs, nonprofit organizations and various technical specialties.
Our mission is to provide a historical insight into the numerous contributions that railroads have made to the development and growth of our region from the 19th century onward.
SCRPA’s ultimate goal is the creation of a premier destination attraction to present the spirit of the Southland through this railroad heritage.
The association sponsors the following programs and projects to promote interest in rail safety, history and education:
- Fullerton Train Museum The first train museum in Orange County displays our collection of five vintage railcars. Open for free guided tours from 9 a.m. to noon on the first and third Saturdays of each month, at the east end of the Fullerton Train Station.
- Railroad Days – Sights, sounds and activities for the public to see firsthand what railroading is all about. A truly family-oriented event presented since 1999, the weekend attracts more than 30,000 people.
Railroad Days 2017 is scheduled the weekend of May 6 & 7 at the Fullerton Train Station.
- Children’s Railroad Safety Poster Contest – an annual opportunity to work with local schools to teach young students about the dangers of being around trains. Through classroom participation and the organization of a poster exhibit, SCRPA supplements the work of the Operation Life Saver programs sponsored by the nation’s railroads.
- Members' Dinners & General Meetings – quarterly gatherings bring together the diverse SCRPA membership for an evening of discussions of mutual interest and presentations by guest speakers who provide timely information on rail-related topics.
- “Hot Rail!” – quarterly membership newsletters are the main source of SCRPA news and project status reports and activity photos. Issues are mailed to all members and are available online, where the photographs are in full color.
- History & Modeling Committee – for 16 years, talented members of the group have conducted historical research and created finely detailed models of local depots and scenes along area rail lines. They exhibit models at rail shows and fairs to promote railroading in general. The group also maintains a collection of rail artifacts and a rail-related library.
- Railroad Operations Committee formed by members dedicated to the conservation of vintage railroad equipment spotted on the Fullerton Depot house tracks. Using their expertise and skills, volunteers hold monthly work parties to restore, conserve and maintain SCRPA's three cabooses and two lounge cars in operating condition.
- Excursions the Membership Committee offers seasonal outings by motor coach to destinations for train rides or rail displays, such as the Fillmore & Western Railway Co. and the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar.
Join us at our Quarterly Membership Dinner Meeting,
Wednesday, April 12, 2017, at 6 p.m.
Sizzler Restaurant, 1401 N. Harbor Blvd., Fullerton
For more information -- or to JOIN SCRPA -- click on the railcar “buttons” at the top of the page.
Or call the SCRPA office at 714-278-0648.
Check out our Calendar updates on What's New page
Our Facebook page has photos of Railroad Days 2014, 2015 and 2016. It will have the latest info about Railroad Days 2017 in Fullerton, which will be May 6 & 7, at http://www.facebook.com/RailroadDaysinFullerton. And please remember to click the like button!
The Southern California Railway Plaza Association is a fully qualified and recognized publicly supported organization, as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Therefore, all donations to the SCRPA are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
top | home
© 2010-2016 Southern California Railway Plaza Association, Inc.
Hosted By TrainWeb.com